[vdr] Re: vdr-xine-0.0.0 plugin

Am Mit, 2003-07-23 um 14.33 schrieb Reinhard Nissl:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry for not keeping the time line I've mentionend in my announcement,
> but the past few weeks were really tough.
>
> Meanwhile, my VDR hardware has arrived, but I still haven't upgraded my
> receiving equipment for digital TV (I'll do it in about four weeks), so I
> meanwhile use the plugin 'dvd' as data source for my device plugin.
>
> On my old machine (which didn't have any sound hardware), my scratchy plugin
> and xine were performing well. But on my new hardware, I now realize problems
> with the sound. mplayer tells me, that there is too much audio data compared
> to the video, and aborts after a drift of about five seconds between audio and
> video.

The A/V-syncing-code of mplayer is a mess. This is what disqualified
mplayer for me. It completely relies on the timing coming from the
soundcard and it often gets out of sync while Xine is permorming fine.

> Xine performs different in this case. It plays audio with almost no distortion
>   and tries to keep audio and video in sync, but to reach this goal, it has to
> to pause the video from time to time.

Works fine at me (http-streamed TS).

> For now I think, that this problem comes either from my xine plugin or from
> the dvd plugin. To prove this, I need a further source of input. I think about
> a short recording which was taken on an exisiting VDR machine that I can
> replay via my device plugin.

The problem may be MPEG-PES. In that format audio starts between 250 and
600 ms before audio. Most players can't handle. Because of that I use
MPEG-TS when streaming VDR to Xine.

But dvd-source with MPEG-PS should perform well ..

Maybe the timing of your audio-driver is broken (which are most, in
fact). Switching from toss to alsa solved a lot of syncing-problems for
me (SB Live! Player 5.1).

What version of Xine-lib are you going to use? < 0.9.8 can handle PES,
but no TS, > 0.9.8 can handle TS, but no PES. That version can't play
recordings, but TS has the advantage that it includes bit-error
information which can be used by the player (runs Xine much more stable
than mplayer with PES). TS is the coming format because of digitalTV and
many player start to support it, but PES never came up to the living (I
hope Klaus will change recording format either to MPEG-TS or -PS).

--
Rene Bartsch
Faculties MNI

Facsimile/Phone: +49 7 00/72 27 87 24