[vdr] Re: How to launch the vdr GUI ?

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:01:59 +0200, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:52:46AM +0300, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> > If so, are the screen captures given at
> > 	http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/software.htm
> > just some cruel hoax?
>
> Like already answered, they are from tv (or from xawtv...)...

And why, in your opinion, are they not a GUI for using this system?

I believe we have some terminology confusion here: for "GUI" you are
thinking of some kind of a X application, while I am thinking of any
kind of a natty user interface, wherever the display may be.

I believe the original questioner was asking why doesn't he see these
displays but just the message "sync" and then nothing else. I've had
something like this happen to me also on the xawtv screen.

> > Yes, I can watch xawtv, but now I'd like to see about setting up
> > something like TiVo.  Which document are you referring to?
>
> Just begin with the docs in VDR itself :-)

Let's see...
	CONTRIBUTORS HISTORY README COPYING INSTALL UPDATE-1.2.0 MANUAL

CONTRIBUTORS and HISTORY don't help me much in understanding this.
README explains the basics, good, have read it.
COPYING is the standard GNU license.
INSTALL I've read, and at least partially done.  Seems to work.
UPDATE-1.2.0 gives the diffs to the previous release.  Not very helpful here.

MANUAL starts out assuming you have a set-top box with an infrared remote
control, explains the ir keys there in itty-gritty detail but doesn't at
all explain the background of how the thing works or what to do if you
just would like to understand the thing first with a normal PC without ir,
though the README does refer to this possibility.

The problem, as I see it, is that there are no how-to-get-started and
what-you-will-need and what-this-software-actually-can-do type instructions
for beginners.  And then we have to ask these questions on the mailing list,
where we receive ah-so sarcastic but not very helpful replies.

> And you could also search for vdradmin for something in the TiVo
> style...

So, this is something for controlling vdr via the net instead of as a
dedicated set-top-box?  It'd be nice if the linuxtv/vdr pages could at
least refer to the existance of this software.

I'll see what I can get done with it.  The documentation for it doesn't
actually do anything as straightforward as explaining what it does,
but then again, it is release 0.93.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, FAX: +358 40 7860457, ICBM: 60N 25E */