[vdr] Re: vdr / vdr plugins - make process

Oliver Endriss wrote:

> On Saturday 09 August 2003 20:58, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Two things i discovered today, while trying to package a vdr plugin :)
> >
> > 1)
> > Some Plugins don't make use of Make.config, From what I have looked at, this
> > is f.i.: vcd, remote, games . There may be more, but I have not all plugins
> > on my hd ;).
>
> ad remote plugin:
> IIRC, I created the Makefile around vdr-1.1.13.
> Maybe it's time for an update. ;-)
> Unfortunately we might loose backward compatibility with older vdr
> releases if we modify the makefiles. That's why I never changed it.
> Anyway, I'll update the Makefile if required.
>
> > 2)
> > The target libvdr-$(PLUGIN).so contains a cp of the plugin to the destination.
> > This should go to the target install and for getting the old behaviour back
> > extend the vdr Makefile accordingly (that make plugins does the same as now).
> > I will provide a patch for newplugin and Makefile if wished, But before
> > patching the Makefile of vdr all plugins should now the target install ;).
> > A seperate make install is cleaner, since someone wants to compile as user and
> > to install something you have to be root.
> >
> > Can this things be changed ?
>
> IMHO these changes will break all current plugins, so all plugins must
> be updated. This will cause a lot of trouble...
>
> Oliver

I'd also suggest not to do this now (except for changing the plugins'
Makefiles so that they read VDR/Make.config, which they should be doing
since VDR version 1.1.15, anyway).

Let's wait until the next developer version with that separate "install"
target for plugins, and enjoy the stable version 1.2 for a while ;-)
After all, it's no big deal to manually copy the library files to
a different location if you want to.

Klaus