[vdr] Re: migration to 1.2.2

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  10.08.03 11:56

Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...

>Rainer Zocholl wrote:
>>
>> Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  09.08.03 22:44
>>
>> Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...
>>
>>>I believe I wrote a lot about all this in the file UPDATE-1.2.0:
>>
>> at lot of stuff to read!

>Well, if nobody is going to read this, maybe I can save the time
>and effort and in the future just not write any more documentation ;-)

Yes, it's always the same problem ;-)
Thanks a lot for doing documentation
despite of knowing that it is read only "after"!
(Do believe people how claims to have the entire documention
read first. ;-) That's today completely unrealistic.)

The best way to get users reading is currently the "FAQ".
They see: OK, maybe i need only to read 3 lines to solve
my problem. (And, with a good FAQ, they read at least
all questions!).

>>>  In order for the "unique channel ID" to work, all channel
>>>definitions now must  be unique with respect to the combination of
>>>their Source, Frequency and SID   parameters.
>>
>> There is no "name" mentioned...

>Of course there isn't! Names are not unique.

I read "Source, Frequency and SID" ;-)

>> And:
>> What's the problem if not?

>Timers identify channels by their unique channel id.

Ok, good idea!

>If these ids are not unique, a timer wouldn't know
>which channel to use

Why?
The channel ID is "Uniq", specifies exactly one channel.
If that channel is listed ten times in channels.conf:
It's still the one and same channel, or?

There is no timer.conf anymore which stores indicies.

>- it can't know whether this was done on purpose or just by accident.

It can issue a warning to avoid complaints like
"VDR is recording ARD, when it should record ZDF"
But that actuallly would give no problem!
If user realises that an other channel (as he wanted) was recorded
then the channel parameter were really different, so the
UID was different too no warning was issued.

>> The i have one source with two names.
>> But it's stil the same channel an satelite
>>
>> What does it matter if i have
>> Neun Live:12480:v:S19.2E:27500:767:768:35:0:897:0:0:0
>> and a
>> tm3:12480:v:S19.2E:27500:767:768:35:0:897:0:0:0
>> in my channels conf?

>Simple: it doesn't work!

So why VDR is starting with a broken channel.conf?

But pardon me, i still don't understand why
channel.conf may not list(!) the same channel twice.

The only problem i see may be, if one name occurs twice
with different UID.

Maybe i miss one "bit" in the philosophy of channels.conf?

>Channel data has to be unique.

>You can use the RID field to make them unique.

Why should i want to? :-)

Neun Live:12480:v:S19.2E:27500:767:768:35:0:897:0:0:0
and
tm3:12480:v:S19.2E:27500:767:768:35:0:897:0:0:0

*is* the same channel.  It changed only it's name.
The entry is redundant, but what would be broken?

>> You know that the second and thir line belongs together.
>> First I thought that this were 2 different errors:
>>> vdr[3348]: loading /video/channels.conf
>>> vdr[3348]: ERROR: channel data not unique!
>>> vdr[3348]: ERROR: error in /video/channels.conf, line 133
>>
>> maybe something like:
>>> vdr[3348]: loading /video/channels.conf
>>> vdr[3348]: ERROR(32): in /video/channels.conf, line 133 (32:channel
>>> data notunique!)
>>
>> is more "human".

>Just because it is in one line instead of two?

Yes.
Inagine that there might run other processes inserting
thier lines between.

>> And:
>> If VDR would have not loaded at all (because it actualy can't work
>> in this state) it would be more likely that the first view is going
>> into the logfile.
>> (I looked first im /var/log/messages: there was no error
>> listed!)

>If there was no error listed, then everything must have been fine!

Yes. That was my thought too. ;-)

>Are you sure it didn't say

>vdr[3348]: loading /video/channels.conf
>vdr[3348]: ERROR: channel data not unique!
>vdr[3348]: ERROR: error in /video/channels.conf, line 133

>in there?

That was found in in /var/log/syslog, not in var/log/messages.
Don't know why. Diffent loglevels?

>Ok, we can let VDR die if it fails to read that file.

I think that's a good idea because it can't work at all
without that file.
There are more reasons for problems with teh file, not
only the stupid user ;-)

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //