[vdr] Re: migration to 1.2.2

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  11.08.03 09:58

Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...

>> The channel ID is "Uniq", specifies exactly one channel.
>> If that channel is listed ten times in channels.conf:
>> It's still the one and same channel, or?

>So then why is it listed ten times??

Because i grouped then thematical? :-)

I have one group with all "v", another with "h" channels.
Then i have a group with all "news" channels.
Another group are all english channels.

That easily caused CNN to occure 3 times...
Why should that be superflous?

I found it very convienient.
So i can zapp fast between all news channels
or stay in english channels.

>Just throw out the superfluous 9 entries and be happy!

I found that grouping very usefull, and i am not happy now ;-)

[Example based on the fact the the user made the error
to change channels but forget to back annotate timer.conf snipped]

It does not help me understanding which technical reason
forces VDR ignore the entire channels.conf and stop working
and can't simply ignore the dupes.
Nothing bad (like all records deleting) will happen,
maybe one timer would record teh wrong program.

If VDR would really care so much about users faults it would
stop recording if it realized that the users programmed conficting
timers. But VDR gracefully ignores such overlappings, causing
incomplete recordings. It would be nice if VDR
would issue a warning that the resource is locked due to timer xx.
(Ideally at the beginning of the recorded fragment
"record start delayed by 7:46 min due to resource conflict",
not only in /var/&log/messages).
Else the user only sess that he missed sometimes(!) the beginning
but may think thathe did not program the right start time or
the program has a new starting time.