[vdr] Re: @Reinhard Nissl: How do you want to connect Xine toVDR?

Hi,

Rene Bartsch wrote:

Am Son, 2003-08-10 um 14.12 schrieb Reinhard Nissl:

Hi,

Rene Bartsch wrote:

Hi Reinhard,

have you already decided how to interface Xine to VDR?
Well, I've been in discussion with a xine developer and he suggests me to use xine-lib directly for minized delays and memcpys.
Mmmh, that means you want to use the lib-xine code directly in your
plugin?
As a first start, yes.

But this means the MPEG-decoder/GUI is running all the time and you
can't stop it without stopping VDR - so there's no use for VDR as
video-recorder anymore as running with MPEG-decoder will mean high
CPU-load -> waste of current -> heat -> noise by fans.
I'll keep this in mind. I also like a quiet (and cool) system.

I'd suggest to implement one plugin for VDR and one for Xine, both
connected by tcp or udp.

e.g. starting

vdr -P"\xine -p[port]"\ as a daemon

and then connect xine by need with

xine vdr://[vdrserverip]:[vdrport]
Maybe for version 1.x. For now, I don't want to spend extra time on communication stuff. In about two weeks, when I get my new dish, I'd like to use VDR via my plugin.

Copying the the MPEG-stream should be easy and the OSD doesn't have a
lot pixel or color-depth.
I'm shure, this is possible.

That way you could also prepare the plugin for multiuser-mode when
VDR-1.3 is coming up (e.g. connecting multiple xine-clients at the same
time).
I think, this needs a deeper discussion: what is the multiuser-mode for vdr-1.3? Does it make sense to supply a single OSD to multiple clients? How about a separate OSD for every client? How does a client operate on an OSD? What happens if multiple clients operate on the OSD at the same time?

As I mentioned above: I don't say NO to implement such a solution, but not in the near future.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de