[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > isn't there any good coder on this list, witch like to watch DVD's
> > > ? With the latest DVD-Plugin it
> > > is more a mess than relaxed evening. Non working menues, picture
> > > disortions, only FFW (no FRW),
> > > crashes of the Plugin and even ARM-crashes of the driver . . .
> > > I am not a coder, so I can neighter fix that problems nor write a
> > > new plugin, but as many others
> > > would like to watch DVD's.
> > > So is there any hope that this "situation" will become better ?
> > >
> > > Tilo
> >
> > This would really be something. In vdr-1.2.3-pre there are
> some fixes
> > regarding NTSC playback I think. But the dvd-plugins
> definitely needs
> > some fixing. Maybe some xine developers can tell why there dvd
> > playback works so well.
>
> A dvb-out from xine and/or a xine-lib backend would be the solution i
> guess. But frankly i don't know enough if this could be
> archieved. The
> pro would be, that dvd-playback as well as other things in vdr would
> profit direct from xine.

I know that dvbout for Xine is really simple (sure not simple enough for
me, but simple). Xine is already doing realtimeencoding to mpeg for DXR3
output! AFAIK this is already the right way, the only thing is to
adapt to the API of the DVB-driver. (And this can't be very difficult,
since you can use VDR's resources)

Tilo