[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

Am Samstag, 23. August 2003 21:55 schrieb Jürgen Hahn:
> Hi,
>
> > Sounds good - did you try power failures as well?
>
> Me too using xfs since 2 years on two different machines with in some
> 100GB... including some powerfailures. I lost some text files they
> were in some editor (vi or so...) and me was too lazy to recover them
> (or didn't realized that there was a powerfailure because vdr-machine
> reboots automatically) but never any vdr recording.

What I would be interested in is file move and copy. I have on ext3 at
first 22 MB/s breaking down to real slow speed and then again speed up.
I suspect the file system to be the cause. Any experiences ?

To my experiences:
I had reiser on my home for a long time and had more then one
unrecoverable corrupted file. Since usage of ext3  nothing. The most
important on ext3 is that you do _not_ dsck after a power failure or
the like. Some Distros handle that wrong.

If XFS is more performant on big files I would prefer XFS, but maybe its
a hrdwate limitation and not the filesystem on my machine.

Steffen