[vdr] Re: VDR vs other Linux PVRs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steffen Barszus" <st_barszus@gmx.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 12:29 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: VDR vs other Linux PVRs

> > > DVB support is now in MythTV - check out the CVS.
> >
> > so anyone installed MythTV on a DVB (w or w/o graficscard) only
> > system?
> >
> > hands up! and pls pm to me....
>
> On my system i didn't had it installed yet. I had a look on a analog tv
> card setup.
>
> Pro:
>
> - polished surface
>
> contra
>
> - hd killer/cpu hog (recording allways for beeing able to fast backward
> of livetv)
> - xmltv is kind of ... EPG for one day and you have to load it every day
> - for picture quality tvtime is a lot better.
> - a pain to install with all the dependencies
>
> vdr is more professional and easier to install, and I guess you will
> hear the opposite on mythtv mailinglist ;))))

i guess you are right.

i totally agree with you. the surface looks very professionell i must say.
you can "theme" it and it looks like a very expensive piece of software. *g*

VDR looks more like dvb2000 from a few years ago. but maybe that's why many
ppl (me included) like it so much. no useless information, bells and
whistles. and even my gf can use it (BIG congrats for that go to klaus *g*).

i guess installation should not be tooooo difficult using apt.

i just wanted to install it because (against the opinion of many other ppl)
i ALWAYS change a running system because i become bored really fast and am
looking for another task to solve...

so we'll see. i'll try to install it ... but i'll have to be finished before
my gf comes home and wants to watch "verbotene liebe" ;) in that case: NEVER
touch a running system is much more wiser ;)

regards hannes!

Johannes Schöller
<schoeller@izeman.net>