[vdr] Re: VDR vs other Linux PVRs

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:31:31PM +0300, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> mark.carline wrote:
>
> > I know this may upset a few people (sorry Klaus!) but I wondered if
> > anyone had tried any of the other VDR type projects running on Linux ?
> >
> > I have managed to find two:
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org

Geez, after struggling with mythv and freevo for a while, VDR has been
an absolute breath of fresh air for me.  VDR is lightweight and
professional.  I like the fact that it implements a set-top-box first
and foremost and all the other stuff (mp3s, picture galleries etc) is
secondary.

When I start up VDR, I see a TV picture, not a main menu filled with
options I'm not interested in most of the time.  VDR's use of text
overlays with a clear minimalist font is great, and navigation is well
thought out.

Freevo and Mythtv always seemed too focussed on themes, eye-candy and
looking kewl for my tastes, rather than just staying out of the way
and getting the job done (like VDR).  Just my 2c.

/r.