[vdr] Re: Plugin specific config files

Ludwig Nussel wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > There was a rather hot discussion about whether there should be
> > separate config files for each VDR plugin in the thread with
> > the subject "Problems with exit-states (VDR-1.2.2)". As it turned out
> > there seems to be a problem with long options not being handled correctly.
>
> I can't reproduce the problem. Isn't there an upper limit for the
> number of bytes on the command line? Maybe this limit was exceeded.

I hardly think so, since that limit is rather high.
Apparently the problem was fixed by using the original VDR 1.2.4
source.

> > However, just in case somebody is interested, I hacked together
> > a small shell script that could be used to implement plugin
> > specific config files right away. The script assumes that all
> > plugin config files are located in a given directory and are named
> > "*.conf" (where '*' is any name, supposedly the name of the plugin
> > this file is for).
>
> Doesn't make much sense to me. Plugins could just as well use the
> standard mechanism to store parameters in setup.conf.

Not quite so. There are parameters the user can adjust during runtime
of VDR (and the plugins), and which shall survive a restart of the program.
On the other hand there are parameters that are necessary for the plugin
to start up in the first place, like which device to use for some exotic
service or whatever. Those have to be given at startup time.

> For 1.3 you
> could add a third parameter to SetupStore for a description of
> options. In the setup menu the description of the currently
> highlighted option could be displayed in the last osd line.
> Additionaly the description could be stored as comment in setup.conf
> for those who want to manually edit that file.

I'll keept this in mind.

> The -P parameter
> wouldn't be necessary at all if there was an osd menu to
> enable/disable plugins at runtime.

Yes, it will always be necessary, since that's the way I want to handle
plugins ;-)

Klaus