[vdr] Re: Still image patch is very good, but only when winding forward ?

On Thursday 02 October 2003 09:20, Christian Jacobsen wrote:
> I read about the Still image patch some time ago and it _really improves_
> winding slow forward while in replay :)
>
> But winding backwards is still not so good (tested with vanila vdr 1.2.5).
> It kind of "jumps" and sometimes starts replaying again without any
> user-action.
>
> Is that normal ?
>
> Was the original pacth for the DVB driver better ?
> Would it make sence, for personal use, to patch VDR back and then patch the
> Driver instead ?

I don't think that this would improve anything.
The still image patch should not affect fast forward/backward at all.
It is only used to display still images, i.e. when you press the pause
button or move cutting marks.

Fast forward/rewind uses trick speed mode.
Rewind (at low speed) does not work very well, because only i-frames
can be used. To improve this we would have to recode the mpeg stream.
(I'm not a mpeg expert so correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oliver