[vdr] Re: Anyone using SoundBlaster cards for AC3?

Hallo Juha,
am Donnerstag, 2. Oktober 2003 um 21:20 hast du folgendes geschrieben:

J> Hi Werner,

J> I'd love to test this

Hello @all,
well, i'd like to test this too and i'd like to help on this topic,
but: (read on...;-)

J> but I have a question since I'm new to vdr and dvb
J> in general. I've got a Siemens premium dvb-c card and a Soundblaster
J> Live 5.1 soundcard.

I've a SB Live 1024 (I think your SB 5.1 works very similar!)
and a Hoontech Expansion Board which supplies an
Optical and Coaxial SPDIF In and Out, but no Internal SPDIF In. My SB
Live 1024 has no internal SPDIF-In, althoug there are connections on
the Board where one could solder-on (spelling?! (german: anlöten;-))
two pins to connect the DVB via SPDIF. Currently I connect the DVB to
the SoundBlaster via the AUX-Input of the SB, so i regret, i can't
test the shell-script Werner posted. :-(

J> Now, my question is, do I need to make a connection
J> between the two cards to test bitstreamout? I've seen some posts on the
J> web that indicate that the cards need to be connected, but I'm not quite
J> sure, since all the relevant information seems to be in german, which I
J> unfortunately don't understand very well.

So I'll try to make this point clear, even though my englisch is not
the best;-)

I have connected my SB to my DolbyDigital receiver via an optical
connection. In order to watch tv-stations that broadcast in
dolbydigital i have to use the bitstreamout plugin, which works best
with the newest alsa-driver (bst-out0.46g and alsa0.9.7). no physical
connection between dvb and sb is needed in this case (all audio-data
is transfered via the pci-bus!). in case i want to watch a
non-dolby-digital channel the data is transfered via my DVB-to-SB-aux
connection. there is, as far as is know, no way to transfer the
"normal" audio signal via the pci-bus.
to sum this up:
in order to get both audio formats ("normal" and dd) to be send from
your SB to your receiver you'd have to make _one_ connection from dvb to
SB (either J2 to SPDIF-In or Audio-Out to Aux-In). for bitstreamout
alone to work you don't need this connection, but then you have to
switch your receiver, everytime you want to watch a dd-channel via
your soundcard (and you'd also have to connect your DVB directly to an
analog-in of your receiver).

J> So do they need to be connected and if so, how? Any pointers to eg.
J> websites containing preferably english information on this?

For any further questions reply to the list and i'll try to help (and
sure others will also help!). Hope you understood my english;-)

greets,
schelli

Mario Schellenberger
mailto:schelli@gmx.net