[vdr] Re: Recordings menu sluggish - *the* solution.

Andreas Trauer wrote:
I don't believe this will work so easily. As said in the man page: "In general this will degrade performance"
I believe that seeing is believing. ;-)

In other words: we can speculate a lot about it, but no matter what
the result of our speculation is, the reality may be different.

IMHO, the best (and most practical) approach would be to try it out.

Klaus, am I right in believing that we can easily test this by
simply making the buffer sizes a multiple of 4k (which I assume
they already are) and setting the O_DIRECT flag for the read and
write open calls for the nnn.vdr files?
Of course, fast forward/backward and jump may not necessarily
work with that trivial mod, but linear recording and playback
would be more than enough to get a feeling whether O_DIRECT is
good or bad for vdr, solves the "Recordings menu sluggish" problem
and increases overall system performance by leaving the cache
available for useful data.

Carsten.