[vdr] Re: dvb threatening file system? [was Drop support for multiple video dirs?]

Guido Fiala wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2003 09:23 schrieben Sie:
> > But I never had any corrupt linux file systems in a row of computers,
> > only  in vdr, so Emils mail made me think.
> > And there have been bugs with DMA transfer in the driver.
> >
> > Are there others with such problems?
>
> Yes, i had some corruptions as well. I think it is related with bad
> hardware in general...
>
> The problem is, that usually the cpu and all other components are only
> tested for a few minutes to run properly and not under all conditions. Vdr

> is putting some stress on the system...

How do you think will such a test look like? You cannot test all components
in all their different constellations. That's the reason, why systems with
high stability requirements make use of "industrial computers" which are well
combined and tested components. If you puzzle your own system
and even make use of noname components like memory, power supply, etc. you
cannot expect, that this hardware will run in a stable way.

> I mean - i put my new system under really big stress these days by running
> lots of things in parallel (gentoo emerges, webbrowser, scanner, sound)
> and got it crashed after some hours. Before that the compiler started to
make
> failures (it exited with segfaults). The latter are known for such
> problems, especially if the compiler fails never at the same place. Other
> applications did'nt show a slight sign that there might be something
wrong, so
> it's quite likely to overlook such problems.

You cannot compare (for example) a little text editor with a hw-related
driver and sw, or do you? If your hw isn't stable it's quite sure that most of
the uncritical sw will run fine. But if you want to run hw-related sw you may
expect such a behaviour.

> Traced it down to the memory chips - they are PC133 but they do not run
> properly at 133MHz (i tried single and double-sided ones and i heard
> Infineon are good ones), sooner or later they fail. If that happens during

> some file-system-action it's likely to create serious damage...

I definitly can confirm that memory chips from noname-manufacturer causes
unpredictable behaviour of a system. If you use in the same system an
infineon-memory you won't have any problems.

> It seems that todays hardware is running to close to the limits - my
> mainboard allows me to set the frequency in MHz steps, so i reduced it by
3
> MHz (130 instead of 133) and anything is rock-solid.

I cannot confirm that. If you buy a 133Mhz memory, this chip have to run at
133Mhz or it is defect. But some of the noname-manufacturer think that an
overclocked 100Mhz memory will run under 133Mhz without problems. And that isn't
true in all cases.

Just my thoughts...

Martin