[vdr] Re: Use AV7110 on DVB-S for Nova

Am Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2003 21:12 schrieben Sie:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to use the av7110 on a DVB-S with CAM for decryption of the
> channels that a Nova-T are tuning? The DVB-S are used for TV-output, and I
> have tried to set up ca.conf, setup.conf  and channels.conf so that
> channels that are received with the Nova-T are decrypted using the DVB-S
> but I can't get it working - is it possible?

No, the AV711x only decrypts internally on the DVB-hardware. That means you
cannot send a encrypted stream to a full-featured DVB-X card.

There are two ways a full-featured card handles Tuner, CI and decoder.

1. internal:

The stream is received by the tuner-frontend and passed to the AV711x by the
DEBI-port (40 MBit/s max.) and then the AV711x demuxes the TS, decrypts if
necessary by passing through to the CI, and decodes the MPEG. Then the AV711x
provides the raw video with overlayed OSD on TV-out and V4L(2)-interface.

There's no way to feed something into the DEBI-interface.

2. transfer-mode:

The TS is by-passed through the AV711x. So the Software can grab the complete
TS, demux it itself (e.g. for recording several channels on a bouquet at the
same time) and feed one audio and one video stream (both MPEG1/2) back into
the AV711x.

The only legal way to decode a stream (e.g for a software-player or feeding
back into a MPEG-decoder) would be to put the CAM into a PCMCIA-2-PCI-adapter
(as the CAMs indeed are nothing other than a microprocessor with ram,
PCMCIA-interface and firmware) and write a kernel-module for CAMs (which
should be quite easy as the CAMs have a well-defined interface). So the
kernel-module would not have to do anything else than getting the
vendor/device-id and register the CAM at a unix-socket.

I'm no programmer, but if anyone volunteers to write the module, I'd gather
vendor/device IDs and look for getting a major device number from the
kernel-guys.

Rene