[vdr] Re: Cut recording, AC3 sound, vdr2dvd -> bad

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:24:58PM +0200, Olaf Titz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> when I cut a recording containing AC3 sound I can play the resulting
> recording on vdr fine. The sound goes over bitstreamout to a digital
> amp. But when I convert this to DVD with vdr2dvd, the (standalone) DVD
> player gets confused at the cut points and I hear a few 100ms of
> static "buzz" over the movie sound.
>
> Although vdr seems to cut the sound correctly, it seems like one of
> the conversion steps involved with vdr2dvd gets that wrong again.
> Is that a known problem?

Just a guess: Maybe the player gets confused by the PTS delay
at the cutting point.   First the video stream has a big jump
in PTS (Presentation Time Stamp) and then the AC3 audio stream
will jump ... and it could be that due to the fact that VDR
does not cut picture accurate but at I-Frame boundaries (all 0.4
seconds) the AC3 frames (each has a delay of 32 ms) may not
fit the 400ms period.

     Werner