[vdr] Re: Media Detection 0.0.9 - Feature Request

At Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2003 11:20 Christian Jacobsen wrote:
> Hallo Sascha,
>
> >> I create DVD's with vdrconvert and before writing the DVD I can link
> >> "/dvd" to the ISO Image and play it with the DVD plugin to test if
> >> everything is as expected.
> >
> >Link? Do you mean mount (as loopback)? Doesn't the DVD plugin normally
> >access /dev/dvd (the device) directly?
>
> OK, I'll try to specify some more :)
> Actually it is not /dvd I was remembering wrong. I am using /dev/dvd and
> it is normally a link to /dev/scd0
>
> When I test a DVD I remove /dev/dvd and link it like this :
> ln -s /path/to/dvd.iso /dev/dvd
>

> Then I start the DVD plugin and it plays the .iso :)
>
> I don't mind starting the Media Detection Plugin by hand !
> I really don't exepect it to look at /dev/dvd all the time to see if it
> has changed ;)
>
> >The PlugIn tries to mount each drive you specify on the commandline, by
> >passing it's mount point name to mount.sh. The operating system's mount
> >command identifies the device name by the corresponding /etc/fstab
> >entries.
> >So if you want the image to be recognized, I guess you'll have to add an
> >appropriate fstab entry :-)
>
> How can I dod that with the above ?
>
> >Maybe I'll find another solution when I understand the above correctly
> > :)
>
> Is it more clear now ?

Yes :)
I didn't know this was possible, but you never stop learning :). Can you
also _mount_ the ISO that way (i.e. mount /dev/dvd /mnt after symlinking)?
Since I guess that's not the case, the PlugIn can't read the files placed
on the disk, so it can't determine its type. In order to do that, you'd
have to mount the ISO loop-back, which would require additional logic the
PlugIn doesn't have...

Maybe you can do something inside mount.sh, for example check if /dev/dvd is
a symlink, and if yes, mount/unmount it loop-back...

Greetings,
Sascha