[vdr] Re: this weekend must be daylight savings in the US

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 13:21, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> well I'm looking at the EEPG and noticing something interesting.
>
> Our guide is updated on 8-hour blocks and there are entries for channels
> that are 8 hours long, because the channel shows the same thing all the
> time.  It looks wierd, because I see the time shifting one hour on axis,
> and where it used to say 20:00 it says 19:00 etc.  It would be interesting
> if you wanted a timer to span this magical hour in time, what would it do,
> and how does vdr handle multiple events starting at the same time (in case
> of adding an hour)
>
> oh well, just an interesting observation

You might experience some strange effects if a timer spans this hour.
1st example:
- timer start 02:45 CEST
- timer stop  03:15 CET

You'd like to have a 90 min recording, but you will get a 45 min
partial recording with a *gap* from 02:00 CET to 02:45 CET.
vdr does the following:
- starts recording at 02:45 CEST
- stops recording at 02:00 CET
- starts recording at 02:45 CET
- stops recording at 03:15 CET

This happens because the local clock jumps back
from 02:59 CEST to 02:00 CET.

Last year I posted a patch which will prevent a started timer from
stopping before the stop time has been reached.
But this would only fix this kind of problem.

2nd example:
- timer start 02:15 CEST
- timer stop  02:45 CET

You'd like to have a 90 min recording, but you will get only the first
30 minutes:
- vdr starts recording at 02:15 CEST
- vdr stops recording at 02:45 CEST

Everyone should carefully review all timer entries spanning the magic
hour. Remember that vdr cannot distinguish 02:xx dst and 02:xx non-dst!

Oliver