[vdr] Re: EPG summertime bug at some channels

Sergei Haller wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Tom Pfeifer (TP) wrote:
>
> TP> ... I observed some strange shifts in EPG times
> TP> for broadcasts of tomorrow....
>
> TP> Examples (observed via vdradmin0.94 on :
> TP> ARD | Sunday, 26.10.2003
> TP> 17:40 - 18:10 Lindenstrasse [normally 18:40]
> TP> 19:00 - 19:15 Tagesschau [normally 20:15]
>
> just curious (@Klaus), may it be a small bug in VDR?
>
> as  some  (most?) channels send their EPG in UTC, VDR has to calculate the
> local  time for the display. Does it calculate it with the TZ&DST settings
> of _today_ (by just using the glibc functions) or with those of _tomorrow_
> (by using some special approach)?

The start time in the EPG events is always stored as UTC (assuming that
the time sent by the tv stations really _is_ UTC). It only gets converted
into local time whenever it is presented to a human reader. The localtime()
(or rather localtime_r(), which is reentrant) function considers dst
accordingly.

Unfortunately some stations still don't know what UTC, daylight saving time
or local time means, and thus always mess up when the time is switched.
Interestingly the private channels seem to get things right, while the
"öffentlich rechtlichen" (the ones we are forced to pay for through the
GEZ mafia) don't know left from right, and have always messed this up in
the past, and apparently still haven't learned how to do this correctly ...

Klaus