[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] transfron-0.3.1 plugin

Am Dienstag, 28. Oktober 2003 03:07 schrieb daniel peess:
> quoting Steffen Barszus (st_barszus@gmx.de):
> > Have you tried with current mpeg2enc yet ? I have converted two
> > movies lately with it and it looks very nice (-K kvcd/ SVCD
> > standard resolution, 50min/CD ). Using -K tmpegenc is possible too
> > (using tmpeg mpeg2 matrix). DVD with a bitrate of 3000+ should be
> > really nice. Further "requant" might be usefull too. Anyway, i
> > guess tosvcd is more usefull for creating svcd, then transcode, and
> > it has a lot shorter dependecy chain. If tosvcd could be integrated
> > in your plugin it would be cool, i would use it ASAP.
>
> didn't test recent versions yet, still at mjpegtools-1.6.0.

I can only say it is worth to test.

> 'transfron' uses this command line for svcd conversions:
> transcode -i source/ -y mpeg2enc="-a asr -b bitrate -n p -S junksize
> -B 224" ,mp2enc -Q 5,5 -V -Z 480x576 -F 4 -E 44100 -b 224 -o
> destFileP -q 0

I hope you set in "-b bitrate" allways 2500. -b is max bitrate , tough
it is bad described in the help page. The bitrate is controlled other
the -q value.

> i tried 'tosvcd' once. nice tool, but it doesn't allow that much
> control over the conversion process as using 'transcode' and
> 'vcdimager' step by step.

But for full movies, you don't have to do much and tweaking it a bit
here and there is possible by patching it ;)

> i'm not that familiar with dvd-video specifications ( valid
> resolution, interleaving ). is dvb-mpeg2 video and audio a true
> subset of dvd-video video and audio?

Audio - yes, video -no. There are some legal dvb resolutions that aren't
dvd compatible. 2 things are possible: 1) using requant only on legal
dvd resolution and 2) don't caring about resolution and trying if the
player can live with strange dvb resolutions.

> 'requant' promises a fast way to reduce video bitrate, but as fta
> channels are already quite stingy with bitrate ( 3-4 mbitps ), imho
> there's no room for further quality reduction.

It depends. For the premiere users it might be worth it and if the movie
isn't fast moving it might be possible too.

> i really don't understand why vcd/svcd is used that much, dvd+r media
> is already cheaper per mb than cdr, and dvd-video a much cleaner (
> less streched ) standard.
> even mpeg4 capability is getting more and more standard in standalone
> dvd players, so why care about vcd, svcd, mvcd, xvcd, ...?

Since nearly everybody has an cd burner and these formats can be played
a) on dvdstandalones and more important i think b) can be feed directly
in the dvb card again. That dvd+/-r is cheaper per mb is only right if
you don't use dvd bitrates, at least it will be more expensive per
movie/minute of material then. Beside that using cvd resolution and
kvcd matrix you might get 4-5 hours on one dvd. xvcd, mvcd and vcd
isn't really worth the time for converting , here i agree :) So there
is a lot room for playing around (cvd = 352x576 (PAL) = legal dvd
resolution)

I have a dvdburner since yesterday, so i just begin to play around with
it :)

Steffen