[vdr] Hauppauge MediaMVP: The perfect streaming client?

Hi,

surely I'm not the only one seeking for a solution to access the vdr-contents not exclusely from the tv set connected to the DVB-s board but using "some device" conntected through LAN / W-LAN, but

- a standard PC is too ugly and to noisy
- a "silent PC" capable of stutter-free software MPEG2 playback is too expensive
- hardware MPEG2 solutions like DXR3 cards or VIA onboard chips are far from widely available

So as far as I understand the 'Hauppauge MediaMVP' would fit in very nicely. It can receive MPEG2 videostreams from a server and send commands received via remote control back to the server:

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/mediamvp_datasheet.pdf

I know that there a coming up lots of comparable devices, but the interesting thing about this one is that it will be about 149,- Euro in Europe and ist already available in the USA for less than 100,- $.

The "only" problem is that it comes - although it runs Linux internally - with it's own proprietary Windows Software (a Windows NT/2k/XP Service) and there's nothing said about the protocol used. But probably Hauppage didn't invest much into obfuscating what goes on. This could be a hint into this direction (from the link above):

"MediaMVP runs in a client/server system, where the MediaMVP receives display screens and media files from the PC based Server. The on-screen displays rendered by the MediaMVP on the TV set is formed on the PC Server."

So the questions I have are:

- do you generally consider using this device as addition vdr head unit as attractive as I do ?
- has somebody already found out something about the protocol is uses ?
- has somebody already contacted Hauppauge to ask if they are willing to disclose informations (after all it would be another case after the DVB-s where they could sell their hardware without risking software support problems ;-) ?
- is somebody willing to invest into this?

Thanks, Oliver