[vdr] Suggested formats for VDR to MPEG4 conversions?

I basically want to convert my VDR recordings to MPEG-4 using
either ffmpeg or mencoder, and watch them with mplayer or xine.
I don't want it to happen automatically, and I couldn't care less
if it fits on a CD. I might care somewhat that I can watch them
on Windows too.

I did some tests with creating AVIs, and I got bad audio sync
out of it. I also tried to encode them in MP4 and MOV formats,
and those froze both of the players mentioned. I was thinking
of encoding the VDRs using VBR MPEG-4 and VBR MP3.

Suggestions?

Ari

--
Does life exist beyond this quarter?