[vdr] Re: Corrupted recordings

I'm allready appologising if this breaks again the tread, but it's allready the better choise than using the webclient.

I had another strange variant of corrupted recordings: perfect picture, but no audio

I'm using vdr1.2.1 (patched but seems not to matter if you follow some later clues)
and driver 2003-06-08 (from Klaus' homepage).
After 2 weeks holyday I had several recordings without audio (e.g. Hollow Man) but perfect picture.
I also had two truncated recordings.
According to logs the truncated recordings were recorded the full programmed time;
no indication of any error recognized by vdr (syslog is clean !).
Syntomatically the recordings without audio are the ones following each truncated recording until the driver was reloaded finally.
This sequence happened twice.

VDR does not realize that audio is not delivered from the driver and only a driver reload cures this.

Strangly I had tree day ago a similar error while zapping. ARD (all stations on this transponder !) had no audio.
Zapping to different transponder stations had audio (so no problem).
Zapping back to ARD: same problem -> no audio.
So my first idea was 'satelite transponder problem' but I tried to restart anyway and after the restart audio on ARD was back.

Again nothing appeared in the log files.
Just another driver mystey ;-)

Peter

P.S. I agree that vdr & driver are rather outdated but I never heared anything similar in the mailing list

On Monday 03 November 2003 14:55, Helmut Auer wrote:
> >I assume this is the infamous "unknown picture type" error.
> >Those who have this should check their log file for such an error message.
> >

> I just followed the discussion on VDR-Portal and also read the thread
> here about 2 months ago.
> I don't understand why the patch ( which changes ca handling ) can solve
> the problem on a system with only
> FTA channels. Can anyone enlighten me a little bit ?

IMHO nobody can. Otherwise we would probably be able to fix the problem.
I suppose the patch changes timing in a subtle way and works around the
problem.

Maybe the problem is the same as the one discussed in the thread
'One image on all channels?' If that happens, and you try to record
the channel, the recorded stream is corrupted, too.

Oliver