[vdr] Re: Barebone questions

On Thu, Nov 13 2003, at 18:47:53 +0100, David wrote:
> Hi, I've some questions building my vdr barebone system:
>
> The Computer is a DELL Optiplex Gn+, it's a Pentium 166 Mhz and I
> have made this boot from network, so it has no ide drive --> it makes
> only a very small(?) noise, because the system only has a low speed
> fan in the  power supply.
>
> Is the cpu fast enough?

My first setup was nearly identical: a Pentium 150MHz booted from
network and without any HD. The loudest noise was from the network
card! It really has a sizzling sound when data is transfered. 150MHz
was nearly enough, but not really. I was using a budget DVB-T
card + DXR3. A 166MHz may be fast enough, especially if it as an MMX
processor. I then bought a 200MHz MMX processor, but never tested that
setup. I instead installed the hardware and software in my normal
server located in another room. I then pulled a CAT6+ cable to my
A/V amp for the video and digital audio, and the IR receiver to my
computer from the TV room. It is the ideal setup; 100% noiseless and no
extra hardware to maintain.

> are recordings on nfs or samba (whats better?) fast enough?

Yes 100Mbps ethernet is enough, there was no problem with this.

> Can I watch DVD with a remote dvd driver and is the vdrbox fast enough?

No experience with this.

> any other problems?

I had no other problem except that the CPU was not fast enough.

  Björn

--
Björn Andersson <bjorn@iki.fi>
PGP id 5AFC144B