[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: Softdevice plugin. Use /dev/fb for output

> I wrote a small plugin to use the framebuffer as output device.
> the whole MPEG2 decoding is done in software. So you don't
> need a full featured card to use VDR.
>
> You need:
> A VDR of course.
> A strong CPU (i think 800 MHz+)
> Framebuffer support for your VGA card
> my plugin: http://www.k13zoo.de/vdr/vdr-softdevice-0.0.1.tar.bz2
>
> See README for details
>
> please expect not too much from the plugin. This is an unstable
> release!
>
> If you have a good idea how to do the a/v sync and alsa stuff,
> please drop me a line (or a complete patch ;-)

You can take ffplay.c as example. For playback you want to use the audio stream at sync source, for live TV use the external clock reference announced in the PCR PID, when you use the audio clock you risk buffer under- or overruns in case that the stream is transmitted slower or faster than your local clock.

ffplay.c contains examples describing how to use the video, the audio and an external clock as reference.

Holger