[vdr] Re: Mplayer-plugin output blocky..

Also sprach Ari Huttunen zu "02.12.2003 14:21" Anno Domini:

> The best value is 2, and the worst value is 31. Also, if you encode
> directly with ffmpeg it will show the q value for every frame while it's
> encoding. Adding kbit/s will make those q values smaller.

But these are the current quantifiers per frame, not the allowed maximum.

> I think having a qmax should limit quantization in the most difficult
> scenes, and forces the kbit/s value there to a higher value. I'm not
> exactly
> sure, though, it's so hard to get good specifications about the command
> line arguments for these tools.

That's right! the man-page for ffmpeg is quiet short there. mencoder's
man-page tells some more:

       vqmax=<1-31>
              maximum quantizer (pass 1/2) 10-31 should be a sane range
              (default: 31)

I'm not sure, if this is the same quatization as I mentioned.
Please try encoding with the default. I never set this when I used
ffmpeg for encoding, so I always implicitly used the default.

>> Overall, I would suggest, to leave as most options as possible at their
>> default values, which most often are the best choise for standard tasks.
>>  This is also true for other applications like mencoder!
>

> That's not compatible with the basic Linux ideology :-).

I don't understand that. Is it better to specify all options explicitly,
e.g.

boot: linux vga=normal root=/dev/hda1 ...

:-)

--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "/vmlinuz does not exist.