[vdr] Re: MPlayer and DXR3

(I know this was posted ages ago, but I've been playing around some
 more today.)

Antti O Lammi wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Matt McLeod wrote:
> > Using MPlayer to play DivX movies to my DXR3 card, the output is a
> > little choppy.  Not a *lot*, but noticably more so than via Xv.
> > Scenes with substantial amounts of movement, for example panning
> > shots, or the opening couple of seconds of the DS9 starting credits,
> > have small pauses in the video.
>
> I'm having exactly the same effects in my full featured card! I get the
> pauses in video, and in audio as well.

There's some weird stuff going on, that's for sure.

This afternoon I did a fresh Slackware install on a different machine
(Shuttle SB51G with a 1.6GHz Celeron and 256MB RAM, still the DXR3).
With MPlayer 1.0-rc2 I can get smooth properly-synced MPEG-4 playback.

It's smooth with just "-vo dxr3", but slightly off-sync until
"-vo dxr3:prebuf:sync" is used.  Then the sync is great, too,
but of course with the prebuffering you lose the nice and easy
seeking you get without it.

MPlayer had trouble with MPEG-2, though.  Again slightly off-sync
with just "-vo dxr3", though that was fixed by adding just "sync".
Jumped a little occasionally.  Of course if I had VDR on that machine
then MPlayer's MPEG-2 support would be irrelevant.

So I'm going to install VDR on that box when my next round of free
time comes up.  I figure that if I can get the DXR3 to do smooth
MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 playback on *something*, then I can justify buying
myself an EPIA-based machine to sit in the living room using the DXR3
for output.

Anyway, I can only guess that there's some weird interaction in
MPlayer with the system libraries or kernel.  I'm using the stock
"bare" kernel that ships with Slack 9.1 and all the stock libraries,
no extra stuff installed apart from the DXR3 kit and MPlayer itself.
The other box (which had trouble) has all sorts of extra cruft on it.
So you may want to try paring things back.

Matt

--
           "Now, what was I doing before I so rudely interrupted myself?"