[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: mailbox plugin 0.1.0 for IMAP/POP3 accounts

Hi all,

some clarification about the missing file: "linkage.c"

After having unpleasant feelings about the manual creation of the file "linkage.c", I exchanged some emails with Mark Crispin, the author of the c-client-library/uw imap, this evening.

He states:

----- snip -----
linkage.c and linkage.h are created as part of the build process.

If you're talking about a pre-built package, then yes, the linkage files
need to be included; and any pre-built package that doesn't include them
is broken.
[...]
I would suggest that you instruct your users to get the distribution
directly from UW and doing a build rather than trusting a broken RPM.
[...]
Manually linking is also unsafe. It may work in some cases, but not in
others. Indeed, those last 5 lines are critical (you can't just link in
the imap and pop3 drivers), and other critical stuff is likely to appear
in the future.

As far as I can tell from the feedback I received from users of the mailbox-plugin, at least SuSE <= 8.1 and probably Gentoo are affected.

So if you get an error about a missing "linkage.c" when compiling the
plugin, you will have to compile the c-client-library yourself.

I'm sorry for your inconveniencies,
Alex