[vdr] Re: Siemens dvb-c and HTV

> >Btw, I have the same problem this thread originally described; the DVB
> >driver (CVS) works pretty good; the dvb-kernel driver (CVS, from a few
> >days ago) is unusable.
>
> Are the drivers still developed separately and only merged into the kernel
> every now and then? I mean, are the drivers in the kernel by definition
> always lagging after the CVS drivers and will never contain all the fixes
> nor features? That would also mean that patches to the kernel drivers
> don't necessarily end up in the CVS version, or is there some BitKeeper
> magic that takes care of that too?

I asked because of SkyStar 2 problems in the linux-dvb list some days ago
and got a PM by Niklas Peinecke who made the driver situation a little clearer
to me. According to his mail you will find the latest drivers for SkyStar 2
etc. in the dvb-kernel drivers - that´s why latest SkyStar 2 cards only work
with the kernel drivers e.g.. If there are patches in the linux-dvb mailing
list, they are committed to the cvs of dvb-kernel, not to the cvs of the
'standard' drivers that are recommended in this list.
Niklas told me that he does not own a TT card, but that he remembers that
the old revisions ought to work, but that newer versions make problems. He said
that the dvb branch currently is not updated!

Finally, I don´t like this situation, as I use a (newer) Nexus that worked
apart from the unknown picture type problem, but also a SkyStar 2 that makes
VDR unusable because of missing heat patches - so I commented the lines out in
the makefile of the linux-dvb driver and continue waiting...

Because the solution to this situation could be near because of the actual
poll started by Holger Waechter some days ago about releasing new 1.0.2
drivers e.g. with an SkyStar 2 backport etc.

With kind regards

Jörg