[vdr] Re: Workaround for UPT Errors

Frederick Page wrote:

Hi everybody,

I got so annoyed by the "unknown picture type" error (occured a lot
here lately), that I wrote some little shell-script which worked fine
here. Thought I'd share this with you.

Just a small question cause I think I solved my "unknown picture type" error problem.
Do you use the OSDTeletext plugin?
Cause my "unknown picture type" errors seem to be gone after I just removed the "-P osdteletext -r" from the vdr start.
As I almost never use this plugin I gladly live without it if I stop loosing records - and so far it seems to work.
I stresstested vdr more than once today in the attempt to reproduce the "unknown picture type" error after removing the osdteletext plugin and 3 times started 5 recordings (5 mins on each recording) via timers with same starting and endtime on 5 different channels (on two transponders) on my 2 card system. And before, during and after the timer recorded the 5 recordings I started zapping like crazy.
Result (on all 3 tries): All recordings were perfect, zapping during recording was much better than with osdteletext, only about every 30th switch I had small blockartefacts for some frames (<1 sec which I just mention cause with the osdteletext plugin I always had this artefacts when transfermode started and about ever 10th switching I had out of sync adui/video).

With osdteletext loaded the above mentioned procedure for sure led to unknown picture type errors.

@Klaus:
I know you tried hard to reproduce the unknown picture type error on your system, did you load osdteletext plugin during any of your tests?
If not, maybe you want to install this plugin and try to reproduce the unknown picture type error.

Regards,
Norbert