[vdr] Re: Some hardware-questions

Stefaan Coddé <stefaan.codde@pandora.be> wrote:

> > I was first thinking about mounting swap into ram

what does that mean? you could put a swap file into a ramdisk, but -
sorry for saying that - this would be one of the most stupid things, i
ever heard of. :o)

> >, but if you say that VDR manages with 128Mb, then this would be
> >useless.. If I
> > manage to boot from a CF-card, then I could just mount the whole
> > system into RAM...

this is a good way to keep the filesystem in ram, because the big
videofiles of vdr render the filesystem cache somehow useless.

> Again, i'm nou sure that the epia can boot from the compact flash card
> at all. Do check that on the epia related forums on via's website.

CF is just IDE, you need a simple adapter, thats all. the chipset has to
be realy broken in some strange ways, if it couldn't boot from CF.

> > The main reason why I was thinking about booting the system from a
> > CF-memory was that it would be more fail proof. The file system
> > would not get messed up when switching off the machine with the
> > power-button..
> >
> Choose a jouranling file type as ReiserFS or EXT3 , it is crash proof.
> Well, there are limits but a sudden power failure is no problem for a
> jopuranling type file system.

i have to disagree! journaling does not save you from data loss in any
way. it saves you from the filessystem check, thats all. if you write to
disk and switch of you will loose data, there is nothing any filesystem
on earth could do against this.

i for myself prefere booting from network and holding all video data on
a nfs server with RAID5 and UPS. lets me sleep quite well. ;-) this also
provides me with a perfectly silent VDR.

just my 2c. ...
clemens