[vdr] Re: SuSE 9.2, recordings on budget card crash VDR

ian wrote:
Hello Carsten, I basically have the exact same problem as you described in your post. So the 1 Million $$$ question is did you find a solution at all?
I do not know of a solution yet, but a lot of research has been done
by many smart people. Some workarounds are available already and a
solution may be not too far.

Here is an updated summary:

*  It looks like the bug is triggered by an EPG scan running on
   the budget card and remains active until you reboot.
   Reloading vdr and the drivers does not help.

*  Obviously, a workaround is to disable the EPG scan
   (set the timeout to 0 in setup).

*  As a different kind of workaround, I have changed my runvdr
   script to look at the logs and reboot the PC after a vdsb error.
   That also works.

*  As a third kind of workaround, Gerald Raaf has developed a patch
   for eit.c, which changes the filter setup in the EPG scan.
   According to Klaus, that patch breaks the EPG scan and in that
   respect it is not much better than disabling the EPG scan,
   but it is a valuable patch, since it tells us a number of things:
   o  switching channels alone is not enough to trigger the error.
   o  the error is related to the EIT filters.
      Maybe it can be avoided by a different filter setup.

*  Thus, a (still untested) fourth kind of workaround comes to mind:
   Is it possible to reset the budget card before a recording
   in the same way it is reset during a reboot?

P.S. You do I reply to your post so others can see?
Are you asking "How do I reply to your post so others can see?"
If that is the question, the answer is: you put vdr@linuxtv.org
on the mail distribution.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index