[vdr] Re: VDSB solved, need fix...

Vladimir Shved wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org] On Behalf Of
Klaus Schmidinger

Does it make sense? V2.0 commands actually allow communicating with
diseqc

switch.
VDR only sends DiSEqC commands through the card it wants to tune.
If such commands reach a switch that isn't even connected to that
card, I would assume something with your cabling or with the two
switches you are using is wrong.

I also wonder how you can connect one LNB to two switches?
You should rather use a so called "multiswitch", where you can
connect the four lines of an LNB to the inputs, and 4, 6 or 8
(depending on the kind of multiswitch) receivers (i.e. DVB cards)
to the outputs.

I don't believe DiSEqC 2 would make any difference here.

Klaus

Dual output LNBs - lnb with two outputs, from there you can hookup 2x4/3x4
or 2x8/3x8 switch and get 4 or 8 outputs from lnb and then each of those
outputs can be hooked up to the 4x1 diseqc switch. Much cheaper than buying
multi-switch, in US they don't even make diseqc multi-switches, at least I
did not see one. I did not have chance to play with diseqc multi-switch but
I think it should suffer from same problem.
I'm using a DiSEqC multiswitch with 8 inputs (2 LNBs with 4 lines each)
and 8 outputs and have no such problems.

I did rule out wiring problems, I used high quality cable and connectors in
my setup. Diseqc command signal goes through LNB, I'm sure. Also according
to this document:
http://www.satlex.de/en/diseqc_technicians-page_13.html
you can cascade diseqc switches, which means it will pass diseqc commands
through itself to LNB #1 input and LNBs are not smart enough to block it on
2nd input. Obviously 2x4/3x4 and 2x8/3x8 switches are not any smarter. So
when you send diseqc signal from one card, it reaches LNB and from LNB it
goes to second diseqc switch and possibly to second card. I wish I knew how
to test this correctly. Is there any way to receive diseqc commands with DVB
card? Need some sort of diseqc sniffer tool? Sorry I'm very new at this and
know nothing about it.
I find it very strange that a DiSEqC switch would react to control signals
that come in through its LNB inputs. I'd certainly call this "broken".

Diseqc v2.0 allows bi-directional communications, while diseqc 1.2 only one
way. This should allow controlling individual diseqc switches, either in
parallel or in cascaded operations. I believe everyone in US is using
parallel operation in multi-card setup.
With the proper DiSEqC sequences it should be no problem to address
individual switches, even with DiSEqc 1.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index