[vdr] Re: caught signal 2

hm@seneca.muc.de(Harald Milz)  14.12.04 07:37

>On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:59:02AM +0100, hm@seneca.muc.de wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for a couple of days now I've got a strange problem with vdr-1.3.16.
>> Soon after starting my VDR up, vdr will report "caught signal 2" to
>> syslog and die, like so:

>Normally I don't like to followup on myself but in this case...

If you deliver the solution it's completely OK. ;-)
"Ingrid" delivered infos she already had while writing
the first posting had had forgooten to mention.
So she made a second posting, forgot the next
made a third posting adding infos or questions...etc-
That's called "to make the ingrid" ("die ingrid machen")
in german usenet.

>I tried two things to get rid of the problem, although I know for sure
>I did not change anything since the vdr worked stably for the last
>time.

>1. I switched the av7110 firmware back to 11/17/2004 (I was using
>Werner's recent version) - no change.

>2. I suspected it was the NFS file share mounted on /video, tried
>Samba and NFS over TCP, no change.

>What else could the problem be? Last night it looked as if it worked
>fine with Samba for about half an hour when suddenly the signal 2 came
>along again.

>Please... !

Didn't i already suggest to use the patches 1.3.17?

>Again, the setup is:

>Epia5000 board, FSC v1.3 card,
>vdr-1.3.16 with Werner's AC3overDVB patches, linux-dvb-1117204.

Without thread patches?

In a not 100% thread safe multithreading environment like
VDR currently is there is nothing reproducible.
The timing windows to trigger a problem are very small,
but exists.
So it might be sufficient that the disk is running fuller
or is more empty to move the threads into another correlation
which booms...

Untar vdr-1.3.17
rename the generated diretory to vdr-1.3.17-patched
cd into
Apply the thread safe patches CYM had collected
(see "Complete all-in-one safe threading patch for vanilla..")
remove the softlink "VDR"
apply "ln -s vdr-1.3.17-patched VDR"
and restart VDR.
Stable?
apply Werners patches. (while i don't think they are causing the trouble)

>Plus some modules but the problem occurs
>also if no modules are loaded at all.

You meant "plugins" ?

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index