[vdr] Re: lib tls thread safeness

syphir@syphir.sytes.net(C.Y.M)  13.12.04 18:28

>Rainer Zocholl wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> It happend one day that i find this text.
>>

>>     Get Rid of the /lib/tls Directory

>>     If you have a recent Red Hat Linux system running the 2.4.x
>>     kernel and you have the directory /lib/tls installed on your
>>     system (normally by default), bacula will NOT run.  This is the
>>     new pthreads library and it is defective.
>>     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~           ~~~~~~~~~

That's a very hard/surprising statement or?

>>     You must remove this directory prior to running Bacula, or you
>>     can simply change the name to /lib/tls-broken) then you must
>>     reboot your machine (one of the few times Linux must be
>>     rebooted).
>>

>So, would you recommend that we use "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19"
>or "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1"?

Don't know how LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is exactly interpreted,
maybe a substring match "2.4.1*" ?
I would give a "mv /lib/tls /lib/tls-is-broken && reboot"
a chance if i would have a tls and still problems despite thread safe
patchings. (BTW: there are some more places with (unneeded)
"static variables" so vdr is still not really completly thread safe.
I assume those maybe responsible for funny timer effects.)

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index