[vdr] Conditional access questions

I am trying to get VDR working with a somewhat custom setup and would
appreciate some help.

Basically I have modified a digital STB to get a DVB stream out of it. I wrote
a kernel driver so that it is presented to Linux as a normal DVB device. The
frontend device is implemented by sending IR commands to the STB using LIRC
(and a horrible userspace/kernelspace hack using named pipes and filp_open!).

The problem I have is with handling tuning and conditional access properly. I
have to tune to the correct channel, not just the correct transponder. This
is because the box only descrambles the current channel. Ideally I want to be
told by VDR "tune to transponder X to listen to service Y" all in one
request.

As a temporary hack I generated a custom channels.conf with the service id in
place of frequency. To tune I simply tell the STB to go to the channel
containing that service. This mostly works except I lose the ability to have
automatically updating channels.conf. It also seems ugly.

I presume this should be done using the CA device, but I can find no
documentation on how this works:-( Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone
else tried anything similar?

Thanks,

Mark

Home | Main Index | Thread Index