[vdr] Re: HTPC Cases

In <001a01c4ed89$25dbc9c0$0432a8c0@ricotta>, Peter Juszack wrote:

> I use a Yeong Yang A-206 MicroATX case. I had no problems getting the
> components in it but I spent much time (and extra money) in reducing fan
> noises.
> If you want a realy silent system there you should do a test in your living
> room or whereever you want to put it. Noise tests at another place are
> mostly non-representative.
>
> The problem with MicroATX cases is that there is only a small variety of
> silent fans or strong power supplies. So I recommend a normal ATX case if
> possible.

I've got a Yeong Yang case too. It's a similar shape to yours, but the
front of mine isn't so fancy. It came bundled (but not fitted) with a
Seventeam PSU which I found quiet enough. From viewing distance it's
quieter than the low frequency hum from the HD (despite rubber
mountings). The biggest source of noise is when watching videos on CD or
DVD; sometimes the "speed" utility recently posted here and/or hdparm -E
work, sometimes they return SenseCmd errors.

For the case fan I used a generic 60mm fan and rewired the Molex plug so
it would run off 5V instead of 12V (it was quite a powerful fan for a
60mm to start with).

If you need to replace a mATX PSU with a quieter one, the only make I
know of that's specifically designed for silence is SilenX. They also
make silent 60mm fans. They don't have many outlets; KustomPCs sell them
in the UK.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Home | Main Index | Thread Index