[vdr] Re: How to name the audio tracks?

On 28 Dec, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Carsten Koch wrote:
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>
>>>   Analog (deu)
>>>   Analog (eng)
>>>   Dolby (deu)
>>

>> While we are at it: one annoying thing in the "old" vdr audio system is,
>> that vdr enforces languages on me that I cannot understand.
>>
>> As an example, when a station broadcasts in french and english, vdr
>> selects french (the first language), while I only understand german
>> and english.
>> Of course, I can temporarily switch to english while viewing, but as
>> soon as I switch to another channel and back, the sound is in french
>> again. Not even changing channels.conf manually will help, as vdr
>> will automatically revert my changes.
>>
>> Of course, I have already informed vdr what languages I understand
>> (in the EPG setup), so a friendly behaviour that a user would expect,
>> is
>>
>> 1) to honor this setup also for the default language selection.
>>
>>    In other words, If I switch to a channel that I have never modified
>>    manually and this channel provides my primary language, use it.
>>    If it does not provide my primary language, but it does provide
>>    my secondary language, use my secondary language, etc.
>>    Only if it provides none of my preferred languages, fall back to
>>    the first existising language.
>
> Don't worry, this is how it's going to be ;-)
>
> The only question remaining is: should the "preferred language" selection
> for EPG and audio be two separate settings, or should these be one
> common thing?
>
> What about subtitles (which may also soon be part of the core VDR)?
> If there are more than one subtitle stream for different languages,
> should the selection follow the EPG/audio preference? Should we
> then have three separate settings or just one common setting?
> I would suggest to have _one_ setting, because I would assume that
> the languages somebody understands are always the same ;-)

Separate settings preferably. For example I'd like to read subtitles in
Finnish but hear audio in native language what ever it may be. And in
case of multi-lingual audio (sports etc) I'd like to hear preferred
audio - Finnish or alternatively English if that's available.

Someone may like to see EPG in English so all three with their own
config would be the best.

>> 2) keep any changes that I made manually, even after auto-updating
>>    channel parameters.
>
> What changes would that be?

I guess when user wants to hear audio in specific channel using
non-preferred audio the selection would be stored for later usage.

--
Br, Pasi

Home | Main Index | Thread Index