[vdr] Re: What about UPnP AV ?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Gavin Hamill wrote:

>On Thursday 13 January 2005 09:09, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>
>> So far mostly commercial boxes, such as the Philips Streamium and some
>> Linksys and D-Link boxes too.
>
>Ah, cool :) I was half expecting the answer to be 'at the moment, only Windows
>Media Center supports it'..

Heh, I think MCE will support it, but I'm not sure. Some other Windows
based media apps do however support UPnP, but I don't remember which
(Google knows).

>Does UPnP AV provide a mechanism for the usual VDR functions like setting
>timers, browsing EPG, viewing and editing recordings in addition to simple
>watching TV?

At the moment there is stuff missing. There is standardization work
going on for handling timers, but nothing is yet finalized. Recordings can
be viewed just like and other videos. I've seen nothing related to editing
(but I tend to skip much of the stuff on the UPnP mailing lists) and EPG
is currently not handled properly. TV broadcasting with all that it brings
along wasn't considered for the first versions of the UPnP AV standards as
far as I can see, it all has been added later.

--
                 "Students?" barked the Archchancellor.
    "Yes, Master. You know? They're the thinner ones with the pale faces?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index