[vdr] Re: VDR developer version 1.3.18

Josef Wolf wrote:
On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 02:53:48PM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

- Several formerly non-threadsafe functions now have a return type of cString:
[ ... ]
When using these functions in a 'const char *' context there is nothing special to consider, except that you can no longer have a pointer to
the return value, as in

const char *date = DayDateTime();

Although this will compile without error message, the resulting 'date' will not be valid after this line.

Ough!  Sorry for interrupting, but do you really think this is a good
change?  This sounds to me as if previously legal use of the named
functions can break in the future without giving an error at compile
time.  Thus giving undefined behavior without compile-time-error when
someone use an old plugin with the new VDR version.

Please give me an explanation what I am misunderstanding here...
Well, I didn't want to change the names of these functions, so I thought
it might be sufficient to clearly point this out in the HISTORY file...

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index