[vdr] Re: DD AC3 and 1.3.19 broken?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 04:13:47PM +0100, Joerg Knitter wrote:
> Bernhard Stegmaier schrieb:
> >Hi!
> >
> >On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 15:59 +0200, Kent Nielsen wrote:
> >
> >>When I switch to DD (Pro7) I only hear very high creaking from my
> >>Cambridge Soundworks DTT 3500 (sound card Audigy Platinum connected
> >>through Digital DIN).
> >>I have spdif cable connected from DVB - SoundCard.
> >>
> >>It used to work fine with bitstreamout, but unfortunately this plugin
> >>can't be used anymore.
> >>
> >>Never tried the AC3ovdrDVB patch, because bitstreamout worked fine.
> >
> >Only to mention (and to eventually save you some time)... I also have
> >the DTT3500 and had tried the AC3OverDVB-Patch (but probably over a year
> >ago with some 1.1.? VDRs)... that didn't work for me (no sound) -
> >whereas the bitstreamout did work.
>
> Then, the DTT3500 does not seem to support AC3 encapsulated in PCM
> frames. AC3overDVB does it like this while bitstreamout uses 'real'
> AC3-Frames.

No ... the bitstreamout plugin uses the same technique (ISO/IEC61937).
With this you embbed the coded data into a PCM stream.
The only difference is the S/P-DIF stream used for transport the
PCM stream. With a good sound card you can open the S/P-DIF interface
as non-audio, in the firmware of the FF DVB card I've not found any
way to set the non-audio bit in the status of the S/P-DIF stream.

All receivers which do not scan the PCM data for the magics
shorts defined in ISO/IEC61937 even if the S/P-DIF stream
isn't marked as non-audio simply loose.

           Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/