[linux-dvb] A patch and firmware for Australian Dual Digital 4 users

System Administrator dburr at veritel.com.au
Mon May 7 16:35:36 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 14:35 +0200, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> Did you work with the v4l-dvb-experimental tree?
> It would be nice if you could send me a diff against the experimental
> tree so that we can add support for these device too there, there are
> already saa7134, cx88, em28xx xc3028/xc3018/xc2028 based devices
> supported in that tree:
>
> http://mcentral.de/hg/~mrec/v4l-dvb-experimental

Hello Markus and Roger,

I have had some success getting the v4l-dvb-experimental code working in
Australia with Roger's new xc3028.au2.fw firmware.  The attached patch
shows the 2 lines which need to be changed.  The first change is setting
input_frequency to 0x2217 and the second is changing the frequency
offset for 7MHz to 2250000.  There are two other minor changes in the
patch to remove obsolete code.   Obviously, there needs to be a way to
enable the Australia-specific settings at runtime before they can be
committed.

The reason why I say that I have had "some success" as opposed to "total
success" is that I am getting patchy reception on some channels and I am
unable to even get a signal lock on others.  This might be due to:

a) The 2250000 offset causing frequency settings to map to incorrect
register values, or
b) Bad reception.  I suspect this is the case as I have bloody awful
reception on my analog TV.  I hope to buy a booster box tomorrow to see
if it makes any difference.

Kudos to Roger and Julian for enabling me to get this far.

Daniel