[linux-dvb] Merge multiproto tree

Marcel Siegert mws at linuxtv.org
Mon Sep 22 10:04:36 CEST 2008

Hi Mauro,

Mauro Carvalho Chehab schrieb:
> Hi Marcel,
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:22:59 +0200
> Marcel Siegert <mws at linuxtv.org> wrote:
>> hello mauro,
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab schrieb:
>>> Hello, Manu,
>>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>>>>  Hello Mauro,
>>>>  Please pull from http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto_api_merge/
>>>>  to merge the following Changesets from the multiproto tree.
>>> The need for supporting newer DTV protocols increases day by day, since when
>>> the first multiproto proposal started to be discussed, about two years ago.
>>> At the end of the last year, Steven send one email to the ML with a different 
>>> API proposal. Yet, people decided to wait for your work to be done. People then 
>>> pinged you, from time to time, asking about the completion of multiproto. All 
>>> the times, your answer were that multiproto were not ready yet for production.
>> how is the actual state of his proposal? 
> Steven can explain the details. Basically: it works, it is simple to
> understand and to work with, and it seems to be flexible enough to support all
> current needs and seems to be flexible enough to support future protocols. It is
> currently under review based on community feedback.
> I didn't have time yet to do carefully inspect the latest version of the
> multiproto. I suspect that nobody did it yet, since I didn't see any technical
> analysis of the current proposal.
> I'll carefully review multiproto proposal during my trip, and compare it
> with the Stoth's proposal.
>>> I'm aware that your solution seems to be more code-complete than Steven's 
>>> proposal.
>>> But the recent activity on the mailing list regarding his idea (and its, 
>>> so far, positive feedback) and the fact that I was anyway planning to 
>>> have a discussion about the future of the DVB-API at the Linux Plumbers 
>>> Conference 2008 are supporting me in my idea of post-poning such a pull to 
>>> a point in time shortly after this event.
>> with whom? the linuxtv developers or with an attending audience?
> We'll have some sort of panel or speech for the attending audience of the Video input
> infrastructure miniconf. The API analysis will happen with the Linuxtv
> developers that will be there.
>> i havent been on the list and that active since the "nearly two years war" begun,
>> thus i am not the one to ack or nack in this pull request.
>> what i did in the past was just watching what was happening and what was taking
>> progress - even if it is slow. 
>> users on the linuxtv list started to ask over and over again, when multiproto is
>> going to be merged. vdr started to support it in a kind of experiment.
>> due to the lack of spare time and devices :) i do not actually know how productive 
>> the vdr multiproto implementation is, but we should not start the whole discussions again.
>> if we do not merge multiproto now, we will never do it, i am afraid. 
>> for the future of this project it is more than neccessary to get some progress.
>> if there are no serious objections to multiproto, mauro, please pull/merge it 
>> within the next few days. to wait until the end of september is time spending without
>> any sense.
> As I've already explained, merging today or after Plumbers won't make any
> practical difference. The upstream merge will only happen after 2.6.27 being
> released, due to the next kernel window for merging patches. This is a major
> change at API and claims for a carefully analysis.
> Cheers,
> Mauro

as you told us, you wanted to have a look at manu's patchset during plumbers.

any news on this topic?


More information about the linux-dvb mailing list