[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Morfsta morfsta at irmplc.com
Wed Oct 12 19:05:52 CEST 2005

I too am waiting for such a solution, I also mailed Technotrend asking if
there was anything on the horizon similar to your dream. I have had no

In the US there are already HDTV decoder cards, in Europe we definitely
need a card capable of decoding MPEG4 and DVB-S2 and outputting it all via

At the moment I am experimenting with HDTV on my Pioneer PDP435XDE. I can
receive all the test broadcasts via Astra(s) and Hotbird. I use vdr-xine
on an Athlon 3000+ (2.3Ghz), 512Mb RAM, Skystar2 and a Nvidia MX440 using
X11 at 720p. The picture is perfect and perfectly smooth. Unfortunately I
cannot receive the DVB-S2 MPEG4 broadcast of the SKY UK HD demo at 28.2
degrees East.

However, I still revert back to my trusty Technotrend FF DVB-S with CA for
normal TV viewing - it is still much better than doing things via X11,
which just doesn't seem right!! it would be such a neat solution to
replace this with your "dream card" so that I may once again receive
everything without swapping over to view the beauty of HDTV (great for
demos to family and friends though!)