[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.7.8 plugin
rnissl at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 00:29:58 CET 2006
I'm pleased to announce release 0.7.8 with a little delay:
2006-03-20: Version 0.7.8
- Fixed HISTORY as it mentioned future releases of VDR (thanks to
Klaus Schmidinger for reporing this issue).
- Fixed sending video data: the first packet after a Clear() got
dropped which made editing recordings impossible (thanks to
Gregoire Favre for reporting this issue).
- Fixed implementation of func_wait as it didn't synchronize VDR and
xine as expected.
- Adapted vdr-xine to VDR-1.3.44 cOsd::DrawBitmap() (thanks to C.Y.M.
for reporting this issue).
- Replaced 'prebuffer' by 'buffer' in vdr-xine's setup menu.
- Added new setup parameter "buffer hysteresis" which is added to
"Live-TV buffer" for determining the initial buffer size which
must be achieved before replaying switches to normal speed. It is
recommended to reduce your current buffer setting by the value
- Added PTS prediction to stop prebuffer phase much earlier on
channels which rarely add PTS to their stream's PES packets.
- Changed buffering to monitor the buffer size during a configureable
time after the configured buffer size (Live-TV buffer + hysteresis)
was initially established.
Whenever the buffer size dropps below the configured value (of Live-
TV buffer frames), hysteresis is increased by an additional frame
and the new buffer is established.
- The above changes to buffering allow minimizing the buffer for
faster zapping on regular channels while not loosing the ability
to watch some special (mosaic) channels which required larger
- Implemented continuous monitoring to reestablish the buffer once
it drops below the configured value. This allows watching the HDTV
demo loop on ASTRA HD forever. This feature can be enabled on
demand in vdr-xine's setup menu, as it might be a performance issue
on less powerful machines.
- As VDR-1.2.6 lacks c*Repackers, the above changes to buffering do
not work that precisely with this old VDR version. Just increase
the buffer values a bit as necessary.
- Fixed an out of range access in OSD scaling code by clipping away
negative coordinate areas. The segfault was triggered by opening
the audio track menu on channels with at least 20 tracks while
VDRs default skins where selected.
- Patched xine to speed up OSD operation when switching audio tracks
in live TV mode or when showing still frames (e. g. when editing
cutting marks). This change most likely breaks binary compatibilty
to other xine plugins.
- Failed to speed up OSD operation in trick speed modes: it would
require to copy each frame at least while OSD is active, which
might be a performance issue. So for now, the worst timing for a
single OSD operation is about 2500 ms in VDR's first slow reverse
mode. A possible solution might be X11 OSD overlay, as it is
independent of the video frame, so there is no copying involved.
But that's still to investigate.
- Implemented OSD scaling in regard to xine's video zoom factor. The
OSD will now be scaled accordingly for zoom factors > 100 %. As
determining the zoom factors is an "expensive" operation in xine,
they are only retrieved when some drawing to the OSD is happening.
So you won't see an open OSD to immediately change it's size.
- Fixed a segfault in SHQ OSD scaling code by setting the allocated
memory to 0.
- Updated INSTALL to mention a workaround for xine CVS access, as
cvs.sourceforge.net was quite unreliable recently.
- Fixed compilation for VDR version 1.2.6 which was only possible by
dropping auto primary device feature for version < 1.3.32.
- Updated MANUAL accordingly.
For this release I suggest the following xine sources:
Highly recommended for editing old recordings is the following patch:
For details about the patch see:
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl at gmx.de
More information about the vdr