The principle of the VDR software is avoiding to deal with MPEG data on software side as much as possible. Therefore, for viewing of the MPEG2 stream provided by the DVB card, an MPEG2 hardware decoder is needed. Up to now there are three different hardware possibilities:
- full-featured DVB card (a DVB card which has not only the tuner onboard, but also the hardware decoder with TV-Out)
- Dxr3 or Hollywood-Plus MPEG decoder card (MPEG decoder card, originally used for DVD viewing on slow computers)
- Hauppauge WinTV PVR350 (analogue TV card with onboard hardware MPEG2 decoder)
There is also the possibility of software decoding ‒ but you need a fast computer.
- SoftDevice (for graphics cards with TV-Out)
- vdr-xine (requires xine, gxine or some other xine-lib front-end)
xine can also use the hardware MPEG2 acceleration feature of the EPIA M motherboards with CLE266 chipset. Software playback on EPIA.