Talk:Conditional Access Module
Is this the right page to mention issues with CAMs or should there be a separate troubleshooting page? I want to share the following experience:
Using an SCM Viaccess CAM with a Nexus DVB-S 2.2, the card gets unable to receive from time to time, while the TV-Out still works. After removing and reinserting the CAM, it works again. It took me some experimentation to find the cause of this problem, so others might find this valuable.
- yes, why not. I've just added a new sections Problems to it. You may add your problem and it's solution there. But before starting please read VDR_Wiki:Conventions --Wirbel 18:39, 6 March 2006 (CET)
Please also check dvb wiki
I think it's always good to document problems and solutions you've found.
But beware that for a CAM for work fine, several elements must be taken into account:
- vdr CAM code (mainly ci.c)
- dvb ci kernel module (which depends on your card)
- the sat card
- the CAM itself (so you must specify the CAM type, brand and firmware version)
- the informations sent in the broadcast.
Sometimes a CAM will work poorly (or not at all) because of:
- incompatiblity between CAM firmware and broadcast info (e.g. SCM viaccess CAM fw 1.06 and TPS)
- HW incompatibility between CAM and card (Aston CAM and (older?) Twinhan card )
- dvb module bugs
- API incompatibility (e.g low level CI API vs hi level CI API)