Development: How to extract a firmware
"How do you extract a firmware" seems to be a FAQ. This article is intended to develop into a resource that helps provide the aspiring developer with an answer towards those ends.
Where is the Firmware Found?
Firmware are often located within some *.sys, *.bin or *.rom file contained on a Windows driver installation CD or from within a driver download.
How to obtain the Firmware
Some of the following links are very specific to certain devices. However, observing the techniques employed in those cases may lead to ideas for your own:
- The pvrusb2 project provides some discussion on the topic here.
- The ivtv project provides some discussion on the topic here
- development tool for xc3028 firmware extraction: see here
- end user tool for xc3028 extraction: see here
- usbsnoop, a Windows based USB sniffing utility, can be handy for monitoring traffic to and from a USB based device. This in turn means that it can be used to capture the firmware when it is uploaded to the device from the host system.