The Geniatech T230 is a combined DVB-T, DVB-T2 and (despite not being advertised) DVB-C USB 2.0 device from Geniatech. It is also known as MyGica T230. It is supported since kernel 3.19. The August T210v2 seems to be identical to MyGica T230.
The Geniatech PT360, MyGica PT360 or D202 (when sold off-brand) has the same components, but on a nearly square PCB. It has a USB OTG plug (USB C male) and MCX connector (rather than a Belling-Lee "IEC" one) and lacks IR. It has the same USB IDs as the T230 and can be used with a computer using an adapter and the T230 drivers.
All the mentioned devices can be used with the PadTV and PadTV HD app on Android. The T230 and T210v2 must be connected via a USB OTG adapter. PadTV HD supports H.265, but the phone must be fast enough. On Windows, 28 Jun 2017 drivers (shipped with some T230C devices in 2018, but working for pretty much any recent Geniatech device) are required to prevent frequent blue screens in nearly all apps.
Make sure not to confuse this device with these devices:
- The Geniatech T220 or T220A are the earlier models of the same product with completely different hardware. The model number is printed on a sticker.
- The Geniatech T230C looks the same but has slighly different hardware (and requires different drivers). You can only tell these two apart by looking at the hardware or comparing the USB IDs. They have the same features. The T230C does not superseed the T230, as the T230 on the pictures was made in July/August 2017.
- The TDH601 or HD809 look similar to the PT360 and have the same Si2168-B40 demod, but they have a Leaguer Microelectronic LME3310 or LME2510C USB bridge. There are no known drivers for any computer platform, so these are OTG-only devices. They use a Si2157-A30 tuner and the PCB looks way less crowded than the PT360's.
The following components are used on the device
- USB interface: Cypress CY7C68013A-56LTXC
- Demodulator: Silicon Labs Si2168-B40
- Tuner: Silicon Labs Si2148-A20 (a few, mostly early Geniatech-branded devices with green PCB) or Si2158-A20 (most devices, yellow PCB)
Drivers are included in kernel 3.19. They can be built with media_build for older kernels.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0572:c688 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. Geniatech T230 DVB-T2 TV Stick
usb 2-4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci usb 2-4: New USB device found, idVendor=0572, idProduct=c688 usb 2-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 usb 2-4: Product: USB Stick usb 2-4: Manufacturer: Max usb 2-4: SerialNumber: 080116 dvb-usb: found a 'Mygica T230 DVB-T/T2/C' in warm state. dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer. DVB: registering new adapter (Mygica T230 DVB-T/T2/C) i2c i2c-5: Added multiplexed i2c bus 6 si2168 5-0064: Silicon Labs Si2168 successfully attached si2157 6-0060: Silicon Labs Si2147/2148/2157/Si2158 successfully attached usb 2-4: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Silicon Labs Si2168)... input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-4/input/input24 dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 100 msecs. dvb-usb: Mygica T230 DVB-T/T2/C successfully initialized and connected.
After first usage:
si2168 5-0064: found a 'Silicon Labs Si2168' in cold state si2168 5-0064: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw' si2168 5-0064: found a 'Silicon Labs Si2168' in warm state si2157 6-0060: found a 'Silicon Labs Si2146/2147/2148/2157/2158' in cold state si2157 6-0060: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw'
NOTE: This device needs I2C-Mux support in kernel or as kernel module (CONFIG_I2C_MUX).
Firmware for both the demodulator and tuner are necessary. OpenELEC dvb-firmware collection includes firmwares for this device too.
Place the 2 firmware files in /lib/firmware.
8dfc2483d90282bbb05817fbbc282376 dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw 0cba7ce61c1411cbe7f22c0746e24e33 dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw
IR Remote Control
The supplied remote control is supported by the driver.
Some problems with high bitrate DVB-C streams. Applies to certain DVB-C operators.
An Issue with firmware (TBD) can prevent the August T210v2 from working in this case use dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw instead.